The percentage of meat consumption has increased a lot in the past few years. Non- vegetarian food is tasty and provides us with many options to explore. But most people consume non- vegetarian food is due to the common notion that non-vegetarian provides us with very beneficial nutrients that are essential for good health. Therefore, many people tend to convert themselves into non-vegetarians.
However, what most people do not know that to have a good health, it is not necessary to have meat or chicken in their diet. A vegetarian diet can lead to a better health compare to non-vegetarian diet. Researches and studies have proven that being a non-veg is detrimental to us as well as our environment. It also affects the economy as non-veg is costlier than vegetarian food.
Risks of consuming non-vegetarian food
- Eating chicken or meat may lead to cancer. Studies have proven that processed meat is carcinogenic in nature. The most common forms of cancer due to meat consumption include breast, colon and prostate cancer.
- Meat and dairy products contain a high level of cholesterol and saturated fats. These substances may lead to heart diseases.
- Studies have shown that risk of obesity is higher in non-vegetarian people than vegetarians as they have lower metabolic rates.
- Animal products are heavily tainted with contamination due to faeces. The bacteria that carry such diseases may cause food poisoning.
Home to fatal diseases
There are certain communicable diseases that are spread through animals. Such diseases include swine flu, bird flu, and possibly coronavirus. With the advancement of the food industry, many varieties of non-veg food are coming forward. Nowadays, people are eating any kind of animal in the name of food.
Pigs are a host to H1N1 virus or popularly known as the swine flu virus. Initially, only the people consuming pigs were known to be the victim of swine flu, but later it spread through the air to the people not consuming them. Such foods should be avoided to prevent swine flu and spread it to healthy people.
Another common disease is bird flu. It is spread through aquatic birds and is known to affect even the domestic animals. Consuming them may increase the threat of catching the virus and lead to severe conditions. You would not like to eat such food that makes you ill rather than providing you with the essential nutrients.
If these examples do not satisfy you, take the example of the recent epidemic, coronavirus. The main host of this virus is not yet known, but people believe it to be bats. It initially originated in China but is spreading at a faster rate than anyone could imagine. All these diseases are dangerous and lethal.
The symptoms of bird flu, swine flu and coronavirus are common with normal seasonal flu, which make it even more dangerous. People generally ignore such symptoms thinking them to be a cause of normal cough and cold, but it is too late when they realize that the real disease is something else.
Further swine flu spreads easily through the air making it difficult to control its spread. These diseases are an example that it is better to consume vegetarian or vegan foods rather than meat. We should not eat anything in the name of food.
Benefits of consuming vegetarian food
- Eating fruits and vegetables lead to a lesser build-up of toxins in the body thereby increasing your lifespan.
- Higher cholesterol levels are home to many diseases that pose lethal threats to our body, the most common being the heart diseases. Studies prove vegetarian food have less cholesterol in them; hence reducing heart diseases.
- Vegetarian food contains less sugar level and may reduce the risk of diabetes.
- Vegetables and fruit have a higher fibre content. This may contribute to a higher metabolism rate in people.
- Apart from all this, vegetarian food is also economical. Hence, it is up to you whether to consume healthy and economical food and stay healthy or consume unhealthy food that promotes diseases among people.
Amidst the trend of eating all sorts of animals nowadays, take a pledge to remain vegetarian to avoid being a victim to swine flu, bird flu and coronavirus. Try explaining to people too that non-vegetarian food may be tempting but there are many harmful effects. Many people are working hard to spread the importance of vegetarian food due to increased risk of detrimental diseases. Along with eliminating the risk of animal spread diseases, a vegetarian diet can help you control your weight. Vegetarian food is a better way to live a long and healthy life.