Apple cider vinegar is being used as a popular household remedy for a long time. It is made by fermenting the sugar present in the apple juice with the addition of yeast. It contains acetic, citric, malic and lactic acid and anti-oxidants.
Apple cider vinegar is a natural preservative and an effective home remedy in treating certain ailments. It helps in diabetes, cancer and maintains heart health. There are many pieces of evidence suggesting that apple cider vinegar helps in weight loss and lowering cholesterol levels in the body.
Benefits of apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar helps in weight loss. Studies have shown that consuming apple cider vinegar leads to slow digestion; hence creating a feeling of fuller stomach. This feeling helps in reducing the urge to take food and reduces the chances of gaining weight. One tablespoon (1tsp) of apple cider vinegar contains just three calories, which is a very low amount.
Lower sugar level
Apple cider vinegar is very helpful in people suffering from type 2 diabetes. Even if you are not a diabetic, apple cider vinegar helps maintain a healthy sugar level in blood. Having apple cider vinegar regularly improves the function of insulin. It also helps to regulate the sugar levels after we take our meals.
Heart health is the crucial for leading a healthy life. A healthy heart symbolises a body free from the risks of heart diseases. Many studies conducted on animals prove that apple cider vinegar helps in reducing the cholesterol thereby eliminating heart diseases and supports heart health. It also stabilizes the blood pressure to a normal level.
Helps in getting rid of dandruff
Dandruff is a very common problem among people and is a great nuisance. It is very difficult to get rid of dandruff. However, using apple cider vinegar may help you to get rid of dandruff. Since apple cider vinegar is acidic in nature, it changes the pH of the scalp. This alters the climate in which dandruff thrives and aids in removal. You just have to mix equal quantities of water and apple cider vinegar, apply the mixture on your scalp and wrap your head with a towel. After 15 minutes, you can wash your hair as usual. Repeating it twice a week can eliminate dandruff.
Help in getting a clear skin
Apple cider vinegar helps in treating pimples, acne, dry skin and eczema. It balances skin pH and improves its ability to protect our body. Apple cider vinegar has anti-bacterial properties, thereby eliminating skin diseases. However, before applying on your face, the vinegar must be diluted enough to prevent chemical burns.
A sore throat can be painful for people. Therefore, gargling with apple cider vinegar helps to soothe the throat and relax it. The anti-germ nature of apple cider vinegar kills the germs present in our throat. Before using it, apple cider vinegar should be mixed properly with water to prevent in damage to the throat due to its acidic nature.
How to use apple cider vinegar
Most people like apple cider vinegar as a beverage. All you need to do is mix 1-2 teaspoons or tablespoons with a glass full of water and drink it daily to extract the benefits of apple cider vinegar. Since apple cider vinegar is acidic in nature, avoid using it in large concentrated amounts as this may ruin your teeth and cause certain side effects. Before applying it on your body or hair, make sure the vinegar is well dilute.
Beware of the side effects!
- Since apple cider vinegar is a common kitchen ingredient; many believe it is completely harmless. But this is not true.
- Apple cider vinegar contains acids and may cause burns of chemical nature on your skin if you use a concentrated amount of the vinegar.
- Many people use apple cider vinegar as a remedy for white teeth. However, acidic substances tend to erode the enamel making our teeth weak.
- Apple cider vinegar may reduce the potassium level in our bodies and cause certain allergic reactions.
- Concentrated apple cider vinegar may disturb our digestive tract by altering the pH of the stomach and causing burns.
- Apple cider vinegar may also hamper with the working of certain medicines.
Learn some cool recipes using apple cider vinegar
- Mix ginger, honey, rosemary in apple cider vinegar to prepare a tasty infusion of healthy ingredients as a medicinal beverage.
- Mix boiled chickpea, cabbage, plain yoghurt and apple cider vinegar to prepare the salad. The salad thus obtained is healthier and a full meal to serve your purpose.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and fry chopped garlic and onion in it. Add black beans to it and mix a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. Add salt as per your taste.